Plastic Detox - Why?
As we fast approach 2019, with a 12 year ticking time bomb on our beautiful planet, its time to detox, honestly it is!
Forget your social media posts about how your going to loose weight, grow your hair, get a new job, marry a prince etc etc, and think about a resolution that could have a huge impact on planet earth.
1. In 2016, world plastics production totaled around 335 million metric tons. Roughly half of annual plastic production is destined for a single-use product.
2. Humans buy on average 1million plastic bottles every minute.
3. Half a million plastic single use straws are used worldwide every day!
4. 4 Trillion Disposable Plastic Bags are used annually around the world.
5. The main cause for the increase in plastic production is plastic packaging. Plastic packaging was 42% of all non-fibre plastic produced in 2015, and it also made up 52% of plastics thrown away
6. Single-use-plastics frequently do not make it to a landfill or are recycled. A full 32% of the 78 million tons of plastic packaging produced annually is left to flow into our oceans; the equivalent of pouring one garbage truck of plastic into the ocean every minute. This is expected to increase to two per minute by 2030 and four per minute by 2050. By 2050, this could mean there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans.Choosing to buy products with less packaging or no packaging altogether makes a big difference.
7. It is estimated that 150 million tonnes of plastic rubbish is floating in our oceans, that doesnt account for what has sunk / is on the ocean floor.
8. By 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish.
9. Brits who consume fish are at risk of consuming 11,000 fragments of plastic each year, according to a recent Belgian Study
There is so much data online, that I could fill this whole blog time and time again with horrendous statistics on why single use plastic is so bad for you. But, we can all make some small changes which WILL make a big difference.
Switch out your toothbrush for a Bamboo one, the benefits to the planet are instant, and use your old toothbrush for cleaning the grout in the bathroom and other delights! If you have an electric toothbrush you can take the batteries for recycling and the rest of the appliance to a local recycling centre for breakdown and disposal.
Straws, just dont, but sometimes it is nice and also essential with small people to prevent a face full of milk or water. So make sure you carry some in your bag, bamboo is great for this, or be a little snazzy and grown up and use a Stainless Steel straw (not suitable for under 16yrs).
In the kitchen, its simple, ban all those nasty mass produced cleaning products and go with something like Sesi. At the Hive February Pop Up Market we will be proudly selling Sesi and refills from the market! So bring your own bottles / containers or buy one and then refill next time, we will have prefilled and refill options. Also stop the cling film and kitchen foil, and use beeswax / vegan soy wax wraps, it makes a massive difference, and also is multiple use. You can do so many things with a beeswax wrap, see here for wrap folding guides.
You can find many things in our shop to help your journey towards reducing your reliance on Plastic.....and we will share what we find along the way, great suppliers or even stock them in our shop!